Part two was a bit more interesting. Chains of "If I have a lot of money", [which in standard English, mind you, would use the past participle verb "had", but this is bloody Japanese textbook English], it's more like "If I have a lot of money, I would quit my job and go to Florida. If I go to Florida, I'd join NASA. If I joined NASA I'd go to the freaking moon!"
One student wrote "If have a lot of money, I would go Italy. If I go to Italy, I'd buy wine. If I have wine, I would drink it." [14 years old]
Then I got to one with the following:

I don't know if you can make out number five, but it says, "If I have a lot of money, I will enjoy playing many times (sic). If I enjoy playing many times I will buy guns. If I buy guns, I will kill everyone." HOLY CRAP! This kid would be at the police station right now in Canada.
I affixed a note onto his paper for his teacher telling her my thoughts on making a joke (I hope) about mass murder while in Mumbai the terrorist attack isn't even over yet. I didn't get to talk to the teacher, but I wonder how the school would react to it.
For those Westerners reading this who imagine threats of violence as a non-issue in Japan, Saga borders a city called Sasebo in Nagasaki Prefecture where four years ago a 11 year old girl slit a classmate's throat during school hours.
Anyway, either a really bad joke, or a baaaaaad sign.
4 comments:
Well, it's a good thing he DOESN'T have a lot of money. I'm finding it hard to see a misunderstanding in this. :S I can't wait to hear what the teacher has to say...
My guess is, they'll have nothing much to say. But, for all I know, maybe it's already dealt with.
Any update on this? What did the teacher say?
Oh he got yelled at, apparently. I assume it was the "being screamed at continuously for an hour, even after he breaks down in tears" kind of yelled at though.
Post a Comment